Thursday, June 22, 2006

Mt. Tabor Series #3 6/21/6

Holy crap it wasn’t a fluke? I got 6th again. It’s not like I’m winning, but against these guys 6th kind of feels like it.

So, compared to going up that damn hill 15 times at 22 mph, I feel like the wind is practically a non-issue in this race. So, I’m not shy about spending time up front, trying to be proactive about how my race plays out instead of just being a passenger on the bus. But when the three strongest guys in the race go up the road… um, what can be done? When that happens, my proactivity starts looking a lot like this “waste of energy” that Molly’s always scolding me for. But, what? Now do we just let them lap us? I have a lot to learn. I’m clearly missing some point somewhere.

A bright spot in this shindig: this bridge I did. I haven’t done that in forever. Molly was up front, and the single-file pack kicked into this big acceleration starting the descent, so I let a little gap open in front of me, nobody came around, and suddenly the front half of the pack was just gone. A lap later, I was getting the feeling that nobody still with me was ever going to do anything about it, so when we crested the hill next, I peaced those guys out and took off. It was super fun to attack and go that fast for half a lap, just absolutely flying. I love bikes. When your approach to that bend at the bottom is best described as ‘diving into the turn’, you know yer freaking movin’. I think that gap turned out to be permanent, too.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan said...

This is what I want to say to you:
1. I read this tripe. Don't bother reading mine.
2. When you finished that race, your mouth open so wide it appeared you'd unhinged your jaw, I knew how deep into the red you'd gone. Since you didn't come back to socialize, I can only assume you prefer to vomit in solitude. I've fallen in love with you all over again. Go pink. JV

8:38 AM  
Blogger MCB said...

JV: where's your tripe?
no vomiting, but I thought I'd go around again to cool down... but then couldn't get the rest of the way up the hill. seriously. I had to give it a minute or two. Mark to Mark's legs: "push the pedals". Mark's legs: "...(no response)"

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home