Sunday, October 15, 2006

Cross Crusade #2 10/15/06

Though my effort at Crusade #1 could hardly be described as some kind of masterpiece, I'll still go ahead and call my race today "my first really bad ride of the season". I have a cold, my head wasn't in the game and my equipment was poorly prepared.

Before the race even started, my rear derailleur wasn't moving like it should, and I just sort of let it go, like, even if I fixed it then, it would jam again, so why bother? Nice attitude, eh? The only thing that went right on the day was my good start: after half a lap I was near the front and going fast. I was on Cameron's wheel and feeling like I could have a good race. Then I rolled my front tire off. This immediately caused the really disasterous mechanical on the day: broken heart. I went from gung-ho to so-low in zero seconds flat. I ran it for a moment, then remembered that I could put it back on. I put it back on and pitted. Got back out on my front spare, it was flat and it was rolling off every other corner. Pitted again. Stole Bene's front wheel (I think) (thanks Mike) and got back in... basically in training ride mode. Started to feel better about at least trying to finish the race fast, even if it's for last place; and then I rolled off my rear tubular. Sigh. Put it back on, pitted for the third time in 3 laps, got my rear clincher and just rode the course until they told me to stop. Oh, and the whole time I was in single-speed mode since my derailleur wouldn't move. Shite. Worst race ever. 'Thanks' and 'sorry to disappoint you' to everone that was cheering me on. Man, I was just not myself today. Sorry. Even just trying to talk to people afterwards, I would make error after error. I'll try to snap out of it by next weekend. Anyone know a cheap sports psychologist? Anybody have time to give me a swift kick in the ass?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn man, this picture of bene's looks badass...

http://www.printroom.com/pro/photofaction


what was runnign through your head?
NWA? 2LiveCrew? Jedi Mind Tricks?

11:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jeez mark, thats tough, no wonder you were giving me the evil grimace everytime I yelled for you. Another week next time.

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For starters, there is nothing in your post about beer, so that is your first problem. You always race better with a little booze coursing through your veins.

Secondly, don't become a mental midget and overthink things. You are a great (I use that word loosely) rider who had a bad day. It happens to everyone. Just flush Sunday's performance down the shitter and start from scratch. The more you dwell on it the more it will eat you up. Flush it!

10:31 AM  
Blogger MCB said...

Isaac: no evil was directed at anybody, especially you. It was just hard to "project an image of success" right then. The cheers still helped.

Anon: Match lit. Lid down. Lever depressed. I'll see you in hell, Crusade #2.

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark I heard you like to listen to angry gangsta rap before a race. Try this one in your head before the next race.

Snoop] Never hesitate to put a ni**a on his back
[Dr.Dre] Rat-tat-tat-tat tat ta tat like that, and I..
[Snoop] Never hesitate to put a ni**a on his back
[Dr.Dre] Rat-tat-tat-tat tat ta tat like that, and I..
[Snoop] Never hesitate to put a ni**a on his back

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant to put "evil" in "quotes". I did not take you literally.

11:21 AM  
Blogger MCB said...

Hey, hermano. yeah, yeah. no bloggie. but's nice that someone misses it. Crusade #3 was not perfect, but nevertheless an improvement... story to follow. Not yet... but soon! Vegas. Me gustaria algunas vegas.

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We can find a foot aroudn here somewhere....

12:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coverboy?

http://www.roadmagazine.net/

Hit the "next issue" link. Is that you? Not everyday, you get a photo on the cover of a national magazine. congrats to whichever Veloshop rider that is.

5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home