Wednesday, July 12, 2006

AVC 7/7-9/6

Sorry it took so long to post. I’ll keep it short, as it’s now a distant memory. Anyways, right now I’m preoccupied with getting nervous for tonight’s Mt. Tabor finale.

In the qualifier, in which the 2’s and 3’s duke out leftover spots in the later 1’s race, I did really well. I don’t remember much about it. I pretty much took an early sprint on a long attack, and looked to see that the pack was giving me a lot of room, and that the strong Recycled guy was bridging to me, so I went. We took the lap and a couple of sprints along the way. I got back in, dying, and eventually recovered enough to start nipping points again. The race was crazy hard the whole way. Somehow I held on to second. I don’t know how. I finished in front of at least four riders that are just plain faster than me. It was a good, good day.

In the real points race, I had a teammate in Molly, who’s a Cat 1 and, as such, didn’t do the qualifier. I was super nervous before the race, to the extent that it was hurting more than helping. I was just pacing around, heart racing, burning calories. I wasn’t hydrated very well and it was damn hot. It started and I took some early points, but was realizing right away that I had no legs at all. I relaxed a little and just started working for Molly, who went off the front, leaving me to block. And block I did. Once she was back in, I scrapped for points anytime I had an easy setup, but, for the most part, just hung on. I got 8th, which was no disaster; but more importantly, Molly got 3rd. I’d call it a success if Curry hadn’t inched Molly out for the 2nd that should have been all hers. Next year. Next year, look out.

Oh, and for anybody that missed it… Oh. My. Gawd. Steveo B’s kilo was amazing.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

more sarcasm please.

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mark, did you see the picture Molly's friend took of me sucking your wheel in the points race. Here it is. How did Tabor go?

8:20 AM  
Blogger Patrick said...

Uh...

Attacking at the gun for the first set of points does not look like a guy who is super nervous.

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home